Sunday 19 December 2021

Memories of Dad

Today the 19th December 2021 would have been my Dad’s 94th birthday but sadly he passed away 4 years ago, a day before his 90th birthday. In the week before he died I was able to visit and be with him. As my body was still adjusted to European time I offered to sit with Dad during the night so that my sister could get some much needed sleep. I would lay on the couch next to his bed and hold his hand, a treasured memory. My niece Breanna had put a playlist of golden oldie songs on Dad’s telephone so that he could listen to some background music. Sometimes during the night I could hear him softly singing along or tapping with his hand to the beat. Whenever I hear some of these songs they bring me back to this moment and to memories of my Dad, golden memories. One song in particular was very poignant ‘If ever I would leave you’ by Robert Meadmore from the musical Camelot, hear are the lyrics - ‘If ever I would leave you, it wouldn't be in summer. Seeing you in summer I never would go. Your hair streaked with sun-light, your lips red as flame, your face with a luster. That puts gold to shame. But if I'd ever leave you, it couldn't be in autumn. How I'd leave in autumn I never will know. I've seen how you sparkle, when fall nips the air. I know you in autumn, and I must be there. And could I leave you running merrily through the snow Or on a wintry evening when you catch the fire's glow If ever I would leave you, how could it be in spring-time Knowing how in spring I'm bewitched by you so Oh, no! not in spring-time. Summer, winter or fall. No, never could I leave you at all. No, never could I leave you at all.’ Sadly Dad, you had to leave us, but now Mum is with you again and your memories will always live with us in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment