Saturday 5 October 2019

Martha Brotherton 1824-1863 A Young Woman of Fortitude, Virtue and Courage

MARTHA BROTHERTON 1824 - 1863 - A YOUNG WOMAN OF FORTITUDE, VIRTUE AND COURAGE

EARLY LIFE AND CONVERSION

Martha Brotherton was born on the 24th of May 1824 in Manchester, England, the youngest daughter of Thomas Brotherton and Sarah Hamilton. She was baptised on the 4th July 1824 in the Wesleyan Chapel on Oldham Street, Manchester, her family being of the Wesleyan Methodist faith.
The Brotherton's were quite a prominent and well respected family in the Manchester area and Martha's father had a silk manufacturing bussiness.
Sometime during the year of 1840 Martha's family heard about the new Mormon religion which was quickly spreading throughout Great Britain.

President Brigham Young arrived in Manchester on 21st May 1840 were he set up his headquarters to direct the whole British Mission.
Here follows a quote from Brigham Young " organized the Priesthood in Manchester to meet every Sabbath morning, and distribute themselves throughout the different parts of the city to preach in the streets. In this way they occupied about forty preaching stations, at each one of which the congregation were notified of our regular meetings in the Carpenter's Hall. This so annoyed the sectaries, particularly the Methodists, that they made complaints to the Mayor, who issued an order to have all street preachers arrested. I went to the Priesthood meeting in the morning and felt impressed to tell the brethren to go home. The police, who had been instructed to arrest all street preachers that morning, took up about twenty, who all proved to be Methodists. When the magistrate learned they were not 'Mormons', they were dismissed." (1)
Brigham Young hired the Carpenter's Hall to hold their meetings and Conferences, the first Manchester conference was held on the 6th July 1840 and was attended by all the apostles in Britain except Orson Pratt.

Martha's sister Elizabeth recorded that she was given a pamphlet about the church and started attending meetings, this is what she said in her biography "My parents were religious and members of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and they endeavored to bring up their children in the fear of the Lord. I was trained in religious habits and attended their Sabbath school in which I took great pleasure. I was connected with this school 18 years in my childhood as a pupil and as I became older I was placed over a primary class as teacher.
When quite young I often regretted that I had not lived in the days of our Savior and His Apostles and as I pondered over these things I became dissatisfied with that faith and mode of baptism. This caused my parents much uneasiness. I often went in private and prayed to the Lord to direct me aright and I always felt comforted.
I continued to pray and waited for several years believing that in time I should be directed aright. In the year 1840 a friend handed me a Pamphlet published by the Latter-day Saints which told of a Prophet being raised up and of angels appearing that the true gospel was restored in the fullness with all its gifts and blessings. I investigated those principles and became convinced of the truth so I found the “Pearl of Great Price.” A number of the Twelve Apostles were on a mission to England at the time and many received the truth through their teaching.
On the 4th of September 1840 Apostle Brigham Young, afterwards President, led me down into the waters of baptism; on the following Saturday I was confirmed. These ordinances were performed by men called to divine authority to preach and administer in “the kingdom, set up in these last days no more to be thrown down nor given to another people.
The Apostle Heber C. Kimball pronounced great blessings upon my head. Said “I should be a great dreamer and warned of dangers and comforted in affliction.” I received a powerful testimony of the truth which was a great blessing to me in the opposition I had to meet with from my relatives and past friends. Old associates turned their backs on me, but I rejoiced continually because I had received the Gospel of our Savior and had seen the gifts made manifest that were to follow the believer and confirm the word. Soon after I had joined the Church I was invited to where Apostle Kimball was to give a father’s blessing. He turned to me and asked if I did not want a blessing. I was overjoyed to receive one from an Apostle, as I had so often thought, Oh, that I could have lived in the days of the ancient Apostles and now indeed I am in the presence of one, endowed with the same power and authority. He laid his hands upon my head after the order of the ancients, and gave me a father’s blessing. He said I should receive the gift of tongues which I did that night, and by my faithfulness my father’s family should all come into the Church, and one after another they came into the Church, in three months my father being the last to receive it. He disposed of his property and we took our leave of our native land on the 21st of September 1841." (2)
Martha's brother Joseph Hamilton Brotherton was baptised on the 11th October 1840 and their cousins John and Theophilus joined the church in September of 1840. I assume that Martha and her parents were also baptised in the last months of 1840 as were her elder sister and brother in law Mary and John McIlwrick and her eldest brother Edward.

In June 1841 Joseph Hamilton Brotherton was called to serve a mission in the Bedford and Northamptonshire area. Elder George J Adams wrote, " On the June 6th 1841 Elder Joseph Brotherton arrived in Bedford, and has been labouring with me in different places about Bedford, and is now with me in Northampton. We came here not knowing a single individual in the place; the Lord has been with us, and opened our way in a wonderful manner; we have obtained a chapel to preach in that will hold more than 500 people ..." (3)

In the Spring of 1841 Martha and her family are recorded on the census, they were living at 204 St. Georges Road, Manchester, her father and her elder brother Edward are recorded as being Warehouse men, which probably meant that they owned a warehouse, possibly were they manufactured silk. Martha would have just turned 17 when the census was taken, her sister Elizabeth would have been 25 and Edward her eldest brother was 26. Joseph who was on his mission in Bedford was 19 and
Martha's other sister Mary who would have been 23 in 1841 had married John McIlwrick in 1838 and they were living independently.
Brigham Young and Parley P Pratt were regular guests at George's Road and were well acquainted with the Brotherton family.

During the course of 1841 Thomas Brotherton and his family decided to emigrate and join up with the Saints in Nauvoo, Thomas was also planning on setting up a Silk Manufacturing business in Nauvoo and probably talked with Brigham about his plans. It was decided that they would depart in September with President Joseph Fielding and many other members on board of a ship called The Tyrian.

EMIGRATION TO NAUVOO

The Tyrian, built by Samuel Dyer at Portland, Maine, in 1841, was listed at 511 tons, measuring 129’ x 30’ x 15’, with three masts and two decks. It carried a crew of nineteen under the captaincy of D. Jackson. It was the eleventh ship to sail from England with Mormon emigrants aboard. News of this chartered vessel spread among the Saints, and many of them began to make preparations for their departure.

Some general details about the group are contained in a letter written by Elder Parley P. Pratt under the date of 12 September 1841:
"In a few hours I shall be in the Hall with some five hundred saints and friends, many of whom will never see it again; for on next week Monday, the ship Tyrean will sail from Liverpool for New Orleans with 204 passengers bound for Nauvoo. Near one half of these are from Manchester and vicinity, and are our old friends here; but their places are fast filling up with new converts: (4)

Edward stayed behind, probably to continue running their business in Manchester, Joseph was still on his mission so would follow on a later voyage, Thomas and Sarah made the crossing with their three daughters and son in law, a young nephew of Thomas, Theophilus Brotherton traveled with them.

Parley P. Pratt recorded the following about the departure of the Tyrian in the Millennial Star, "In the month of Sept., 1841, brother Amos Fielding and myself chartered a large new ship called the “Tyrean,” Captain Jackson, master, for New Orleans. On which we sent two hundred and seven passengers of our Society bound for Nauvoo.
Our chartered ship, the “Tyrean,” sailed with two hundred and seven passen- gers on the morning of the 21st of September. On going out of the dock the previ- ous day, many hundreds crowded around to witness a shipload of the sons and daugh- ters of Zion depart from their native shore for the promised land. They moved slow- ly out into the river, singing:
“Lovely native land, farewell!
Glad I leave thee—glad I leave thee—
Far in distant lands to dwell.”
Next morning they weighed anchor about ten o’clock, and hoisted the sail
before a fair wind; moving away under the flag of liberty—the American Stars and Stripes.
The emigrants were all on deck, and in good spirits; and as our little boat came off with three hearty cheers, they were singing their favorite hymn:
“How Firm a foundation, ye Saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word.”
The last lines we heard, as their voices were lost in the distance, were as follows:
“When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o’erflow.”
Hats and handkerchiefs were still waiving in view as a last token of farewell.
Soon all was a dim speck upon the ocean; a few moments more and they vanished from view in the wide expanse and lost in the distance. May God speed them onward in their course, and land them safely in their destined port." (5)

The first days of the voyage were very rough, a young non Mormon boy named Richard Bentley recorded the following about the voyage, "The ship lay at anchor in the River Mersey until next morning, when the pilot
came aboard and we started our voyage across the broad Atlantic.
We were six weeks on the passage, the former part of which was rough and
stormy.
One dark night we were run into by another large ship and came near to hav-
ing a bad accident. I acknowledged the Lord in our safety.
Elder Joseph Fielding was president of the company of Saints on board the ship.
He was a kind, good man and treated me kindly.
He called on me to assist in giving out the daily rations to the Saints, in fact, a
few of them knew that I did not belong to the church. There were a number of young folks on board, and when we got fairly out to sea and the storms had abated, we began to enjoy ourselves and had a pleasant time. I told the folks that it was the happiest time many of them would see for a long time to come.
Among the passengers were Mrs. Mary Ann Price and her sister, Emma, with whom I became intimately acquainted.
Taking it all in all we had a very pleasant passage and landed safely in New Orleans about the first of November 1841" (6)

Martha's sister Elizabeth was very sick during the voyage and apparently nearly died but was healed by the 'administration of the Elders, and the prayer of faith.'

After the Tyrian arrived in New Orleans at the beginning of November the Saints would have to take a Steamboat up the Mississippi to Nauvoo, it frequently took the English immigrants two to three weeks to obtain transportation up the river to St. Louis and then on to Nauvoo this journey usually took about 6 or 7 days.

ARRIVAL IN ILLINOIS

The Brothertons and over two hundred other Saints disembarked from a steamboat at Warsaw, Illinois, twenty miles south of Nauvoo. They settled at Warren, a community of Saints one mile south of Warsaw.

On December 7, 1841, Thomas Brotherton wrote a letter to his son Edward in England in which he told of their safe arrival. Elder Parley P Pratt copied an excerpt of his letter in the Millennial Start recording that "Thomas Brotherton was well known in Manchester as a man of intelligence, sound judgment, and integrity, being an old resident of this place."
Here follows Thomas's letter -
"Warsaw, Illinois, Dec. 7th, 1841.
Dear Edward,
I feel truly thankful that I can now sit down and write in good health, after all our toils, and that we are in excellent health and spirits, and our prospects good. We are 20 miles from Nauvoo. We arrived here on the 25th of Nov. amidst falling snow. The company was met here by the Elders from Nauvoo to inform the party that Nauvoo was thronging with people, and that this is a prosperous, healthful place, and is intended for one stake of the church. I instantly took a house on a rising ground, within 20 yards of the Mississippi; but great numbers of the people are gone to Nauvoo. John and Mary went off there yesterday. I have not been there yet, but intend to go and visit soon, whether I stop there or not, and I am not much troubled about it ..... I think of visiting Nauvoo next week to see the place and friends. Give our love to all friends, and tell them that after all we have suffered in losses, sea sickness, and toils, by land and sea, if I had it to do again, I should be more willing to do it than when I left Manchester." (7)

Thomas Brotherton must have been a man of means to be able to rent a house so speedily after arriving, Martha recounts that Brigham Young and Heber C Kimball visited the Brotherton family several times in their new abode, probably to renew their friendship from Manchester.

If Thomas did indeed visit Nauvoo in the week following the 7th of December then I am sure that he took 17 year old Martha with him, probably it was decided that she would stay for awhile in Nauvoo by her sister Mary and brother in law John McIlwrick.

THE PROPOSITION

During Martha's stay at her sister's home she was visited again by Brigham Young and Heber C Kimball and was asked to spend the day with them. The following is her own written account of that fatal day. -
"early one morning, they both came to my brother-in-law's (John Mcllwrick's) house, at which place I then was on a visit, and particularly requested me to go and spend a few days with them. I told them I could not at that time, as my brother-in-law was not at home; however, they urged me to go the next day, and spend one day with them. The day being fine, I accordingly went. When I arrived at the foot of the hill, Young and Kimball were standing conversing together. They both came to me, and, after several flattering compliments, Kimball wished me to go to his house first. I said it was immaterial to me, and accordingily went. We had not, however, gone many steps when Young suddenly stopped, and said he would go to that brother's, (pointing to a little log hut a few yards distant,) and tell him that you (speaking to Kimball) and brother Glover, or Grover, (I do not remember which,) will value his land. When he had gone, Kimball turned to me and said, "Martha, I want you to say to my wife, when you go to my house, that you want to buy some things at Joseph's store, (Joseph Smith's,) and I will say I am going with you, to show you the way. You know you want to see the Prophet, and you will then have an opportunity." I made no reply. Young again made his appearance, and the subject was dropped. We soon reached Kimball's house, where Young took his leave, saying, "I shall see you again, Martha." I remained at Kimball's near an hour, when Kimball, seeing that I would not tell the lies he wished me to, told them to his wife himself. He then went and whispered in her ear, and asked if that would please her. "Yes," said she, "or I can go along with you and Martha." "No," said he, "I have some business to do, and I will call for you afterwards to go with me to the debate," meaning the debate between yourself [Dr. Bennett] and Joseph. To this she consented. So Kimball and I went to the store together. As we were going along, he said, "Sister Martha, are you willing to do all that the Prophet requires you to do?" I said I believed I was, thinking of course he would require nothing wrong. "Then," said he, "are you ready to take counsel?" I answered in the affirmative, thinking of the great and glorious blessings that had been pronounced upon my head, if I adhered to the counsel of those placed over me in the Lord."Well," said he, "there are many things revealed in these last days that the world would laugh and scoff at; but unto us is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom." He further observed, "Martha, you must learn to hold your tongue, and it will be well with you. You will see Joseph, and very likely have some conversation with him, and he will tell you what you shall do." When we reached the building [Joseph's store], he led me up some stairs to a small room, the door of which was locked, and on it the following inscription: "Positively no admittance." He observed, "Ah! brother Joseph must be sick, for, strange to say, he is not here. Come down into the tithing-office, Martha." He then left me in the tithing-office, and went out, I know not where. In this office were two men writing, one of whom, William Clayton, I had seen in England; the other I did not know. Young came in, and seated himself before me, and asked where Kimball was. I said he had gone out. He said it was all right. Soon after, Joseph came in, and spoke to one of the clerks, and then went up stairs, followed by Young. Immediately after, Kimball came in. "Now, Martha," said he, "the Prophet has come; come up stairs." I went, and we found Young and the Prophet alone. I was introduced to the Prophet by Young. Joseph offered me his seat, and, to my astonishment, the moment I was seated, Joseph and Kimball walked out of the room, and left me with Young, who arose, locked the door, closed the window, and drew the curtain. He then came and sat before me, and said, "This is our private room, Martha." "Indeed, sir," said I, "I must be highly honored to be permitted to enter it." He smiled, and then proceeded—"Sister Martha, I want to ask you a few questions; will you answer them?" "Yes sir," said I. "And will you promise not to mention them to any one?" "If it is your desire, sir," said I, "I will not." "And you will not think any the worse of me for it, will you Martha?" said he. "No, sir" I replied. "Well," said he, "what are your feelings towards me?" I replied, "My feelings are just the same towards you that they ever were, sir." "But, to come to the point more closely," said he, "have not you an affection for me, that, were it lawful and right, you could accept of me for your husband and companion?" My feelings at that moment were indescribable. God only knows them. What, thought I, are these men, that I thought almost perfection itself, deceivers!" and is all my fancied happiness but a dream? 'Twas even so; but my next thought was, which is the best way for me to act at this time? If I say no, they may do as they think proper; and to say yes, I never would. So I considered it best to ask for time to think and pray about it. I therefore said, "If it was lawful and right, perhaps I might; but you know, sir, it is not." "Well, but," said he, "brother Joseph has had a revelation from God that it is lawful and right for a man to have two wives; for as it was in the days of Abraham, so it shall be in these last days, and whoever is the first that is willing to take up the cross will receive the greatest blessings; and if you will accept of me, I will take you straight to the celestial kingdom; and if you will have me in this world, I will have you in that which is to come, and brother Joseph will marry us here to-day, and you can go home this evening, and your parents will not know any thing about it." "Sir," said I, "I should not like to do any thing of the kind without the permission of my parents." "Well, but," said he, "you are of age, are you not?" "No, sir," said I, "I shall not be until the 24th of May." "Well," said he, "that does not make any difference. You will be of age before they know, and you need not fear. If you will take my counsel, it will be well with you, for I know it to be right before God, and if there is any sin in it, I will answer for it. But brother Joseph wishes to have some talk with you on the subject—he will explain things—will you hear him?" "I do not mind," said I. "Well, but I want you to say something," said he. "I want time to think about it," said I. "Well," said he, "I will have a kiss, any how["], and then rose, and said he would bring Joseph. He then unlocked the door, and took the key, and locked me up alone. He was absent about ten minutes, and then returned with Joseph. "Well," said Young, "sister Martha would be willing if she knew it was lawful and right before God." "Well, Martha," said Joseph, "it is lawful and right before God—I know it is. Look here, sis; don't you believe in me?" I did not answer. "Well, Martha," said Joseph, "just go ahead, and do as Brigham wants you to—he is the best man in the world, except me." "O!" said Brigham, "then you are as good." "Yes," said Joseph. "Well," said Young, "we believe Joseph to be a Prophet. I have known him near eight years, and always found him the same["] "Yes," said Joseph, "and I know that this is lawful and right before God, and if there is any sin in it, I will answer for it before God; and I have the keys of the kingdom, and whatever I bind on earth is bound in heaven, and whatever I loose on earth is loosed in heaven, and if you will accept of Brigham, you shall be blessed—God shall bless you, and my blessing shall rest upon you; and if you will be led by him, you will do well; for I know Brigham will take care of you, and if he don't do his duty to you, come to me, and I will make him; and if you do not like it in a month or two, come to me, and I will make you free again; and if he turns you off, I will take you on." "Sir," said I, rather warmly, "it will be too late to think in a month or two after. I want time to think first." "Well, but," said he, "the old proverb is, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained;" and it would be the greatest blessing that was ever bestowed upon you." "Yes," said Young, "and you will never have reason to repent it—that is, if I do not turn from righteousness, and that I trust I never shall; for I believe God, who has kept me so long, will continue to keep me faithful. Did you ever see me act in any way wrong in England, Martha?" "No, sir," said I. "No," said he; "neither can any one else lay any thing to my charge." "Well, then," said Joseph, "what are you afraid of, sis? Come, let me do the business for you." "Sir," said I, "do let me have a little time to think about it, and I will promise not to mention it to any one." "Well, but look here," said he; "you know a fellow will never be damned for doing the best he knows how." "Well, then," said I, "the best way I know of, is to go home and think and pray about it." "Well," said Young, "I shall leave it with .brother Joseph, whether it would be best for you to have time or not." "Well," said Joseph, "I see no harm in her having time to think, if she will not fall into temptation." "O, sir," said I, "there is no fear of my falling into temptation." "Well, but," said Brigham, "you must promise me you will never mention it to anyone." "I do promise it," said I. "Well," said Joseph, "you must promise me the same." I promised him the same. "Upon your honor," said he, "you will not tell[?"] "No, sir, I will lose my life first," said I. "Well, that will do," said he; "that is the principle we go upon. I think I can trust you, Martha," said he. "Yes," said I, "I think you ought." Joseph said, "She looks as if she could keep a secret." I then rose to go, when Joseph commenced to beg of me again. He said it was the best opportunity they might have for months, for the room was often engaged. I, however, had determined what to do. "Well," said Young, "I will see you tomorrow. I am going to preach at the school-house, opposite your house. I have never preached there yet; you will be there, I suppose." "Yes," said I.—The next day being Sunday, I sat down, instead of going to meeting, and wrote the conversation, and gave it to my sister, who was not a little surprised; but she said it would be best to go to meeting in the afternoon. We went, and Young administered the sacrament. After it was over, I was passing out, and Young stopped me, saying, "Wait, Martha, I am coming." I said, "I cannot; my sister is waiting for me." He then threw his coat over his shoulders, and followed me out, and whispered, "Have you made up your mind, Martha?" "Not exactly, sir," said I; and we parted." (8)

I can imagine Martha's consternation, Brigham had been a friend to their family, had helped in their conversion and had probably given them advise and encouragement in making the choice to emigrate, but Brigham was also a married man of 40 and Martha was 17, and this proposition went against her moral and social upbringing.
Martha informed her parents of this event and they were obviously very shocked, she and her Father wrote back to family and friends in England warning them about the things that were going on in Nauvoo.

THE ATTACK AGAINST MARTHA'S CHARACTER

The contents of the letters which Martha Brotherton wrote to Saints in England brought a quick response from Apostle Parley P. Pratt, missionary to England and editor of the Church paper, the Millennial Star. He answered Martha's charges by publishing that the principle of polygamy never had and never would exist in the Church. Pratt wrote:
"The spirit of apostacy has been quite prevalent of late, principally among those who have emigrated from England to America....
Among the most conspicuous of these apostates, we would notice a young female who emigrated from Manchester in September last [1841], and who, after conducting herself in a manner unworthy the character of one professing godliness, at length conceived the plan of gaining friendship and extraordinary notoriety with the world, or rather with the enemies of truth, by striking a blow at the character of some of its worthiest champions. She well knew that this would be received as a sweet morsel by her old friends, the Methodists, and other enemies of the Saints. She accordingly selected president J. [Joseph] Smith, and elder B. [Brigham] Young for her victims, and wrote to England that these men had been trying to seduce her, by making her believe that God had given a revelation that men might have two wives; by these disreputable means she thought to overthrow the Saints here, or at least to bring a storm of persecution on them, and prevent others from joining them; but in this thing she was completely deceived by Satan....
But, for the information of those who may be assailed by those foolish tales about the two wives, we would say that no such principle ever existed among the Latter-day Saints, and never will; this is well known to all who are acquainted with our books and actions, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants; and also all our periodicals are very strict and explicit on that subject, indeed far more so than the bible. (Millennial Star 3 [August 1842]: 73–74 (9)

Martha's sister Elizabeth also disbelieved her story and wrote to Parley in England the following letter -
"Nauvoo - April 20th 1842
We arrived here three weeks ago; I thought I would not write until I had seen the prophet, and attended the meetings in Nauvoo. I have now been at the meetings three sabbaths, and have had the pleasure of attending the conference which continued for three days; and I have had the pleasure of hearing brother Joseph speak [this was the conference where Joseph and Hyrum refuted the stories Martha circulated].... I suppose, by this time, you will have heard that my parents and sister have apostatized. I know not what they have written to England, as they would not let me see their letters, but I can prove that my sister has told some of the greatest lies that ever were circulated.... My parents have turned their backs upon me, because I would not leave the Saints, and have told my elder sister not to own them until she abandoned "Mormonism"; but with all this she is unmoved, and is still contending for the faith once delivered to the Saints, for she and many other of the English Saints have proved that the statements made by my sister are falsehoods of the basest kind. " (10)

On the 13th of July 1842 Martha wrote down her account as an affidavit sworn before a Justice of the Peace, her story was also used by John C Bennett in his assault against the church, he described Martha as " a very good-looking, amiable, and accomplished English lady, of highly respectable parentage, cultivated intellect, and spotless moral character" (11)

Martha's character was dragged through the mud, she was accused of being a liar, a wanton young woman and even of being one of Bennett's prostitutes. Even her brother in law John McIlwrick and her two sisters were persuaded to write an affidavit against her -
McIlwrick's Affidavit
John wrote:
I do know that the sister of my wife, Martha Brotherton, is a deliberate liar, and also a wilful inventor of lies; and that she has also to my certain knowledge at sundry times, circulated lies of a base kind, concerning those whom she knew to be innocent of what she alleged against them. She has also stooped to many actions which would be degrading to persons of common decency....
And I further state that I am acquainted with Gen. Joseph Smith, President Brigham Young, and Elder Heber C. Kimball, having had the privilege of being intimate with the latter gentleman for several months in England. And I believe them to be men who lead holy and virtuous lives, and men who exhibit a philanthropic spirit to all the human family without respect of persons: and I also know for a truth that the forenamed Martha Brotherton has wickedly endeavored to injure the character of these gentlemen; and besides myself can testify that the statements which she has reported in different places are quite contrary to those she related here.
John Mcllwrick.
We Elizabeth Brotherton, and Mary Mcllwrick, sisters of the said Martha Brotherton, concur in the above sentiments." (12)

Even though Martha's character was defamed because she spoke the truth of what had happened to her there were people who stood up for her and defended her character.  In the Morning Chronicle of Pittsburgh dated 26th July 1842 there is a letter from Thomas Smethurst, he writes the following -
"For the Chronicle.
Miss Brotherton's Character Sustained.
PITTSBURGH, July 15, 1842.  
Editors of the Chronicle -- Having been told by several individuals that in a discourse delivered against Mormonism by L. O. C. Nicklin, on Sunday, at the Scotch Hill market house, on reading Miss Martha H. Brotherton's affidavit, William Small, a Mormon Elder, declared that "such evidence was given by PROSTITUTES, of whom a number were at Nauvoo," thus making an impression on the minds of the people that the said Martha H. Brotherton was a prostitute. I called upon said Small for his denial or confession of such declaration. In the course of our conversation, he declared he did not believe her testimony as set forth, but neither retracts, denies nor confesses his declaration of such testimony being given by prostitutes.
Being a friend, and one, too particularly acquainted with Miss Brotherton and her friends in England, I hereby declare such an aspersion of her character as becoming of a Mormon. She and her connections stand high in the society in which they moved in England prior to her becoming a Mormon, and when (as her cousin who was present at Nauvoo at the time informed me) in consequence of the base attack upon her virtue as set forth in her affidavit, she was compelled to fly for safety; she had to do so at night under the protection of her father.
My opportunity to become acquainted with her character is as good as is possible to be derived in growing from childhood to adult age together; as neighbors living close together, going to school together, and members of the same Sabbath School, and under these circumstances, with indignation thrust back upon any individual who attempts to injure her character for virtue or truth, his own vile slanders, whether he be Elder Wm. Small of the Mormons, or any other.     THOMAS SMETHURST.
Sworn to and subscribed before me this 26th day of July, A. D., 1842
Alex Millar, Alderman" (13)

WHAT HAPPENED TO MARTHA AND HER FAMILY?

There seems to be a bit of confusion about whether Martha and her family returned to England or stayed in the States, according to a biography  of Martha's son in 'The Hand-book of Chicago biography' I quote the following - "after her father had made the matter public, the Mormons then forced the family to abandon Warsaw, and all business ventures. They were compelled to travel by night in a covered wagon through country where there were no wagon roads."

Elizabeth Brotherton recorded the following, "My father only stayed nine weeks in the Church after we came to Nauvoo, he apostatized and moved away to Warsaw with the family intending to return to England. They tried to persuade me to follow them and gave me one week to change my mind, but I stayed on the ship Zion which had brought me safely thus far on my journey. I returned to Nauvoo...." (14)

A year later on the 24th July 1843 Elizabeth was sealed to Parley P Pratt as his Polygamist wife, both had previously denied that the church practised or would ever practice polygamy. Elizabeth emigrated with the saints to Utah she had one child to Parley who died young, Parley went on to have 12 polygamous wives and he was eventually killed by the husband of one of his wives on May 13 1857, Elizabeth died in 1897.

Martha's brother Joseph Hamilton Brotherton completed his mission at the beginning of 1842 and wrote a letter to Parley P Pratt on the eve of his departure to America dated March 2, 1842, "Beloved Brother Pratt, being about to leave the land of my nativity, I feel a pleasure in communicating a few words regarding where I have been labouring....."  (15)
He traveled to America aboard the Hanover along with a company of 200 English Saints, including a cousin William Edward Brotherton and his wife and child.
They arrived at St.Louis via New Orleans in May 1842, apparently about 50 persons were dissuaded from continuing on to Nauvoo, probably in large part due to Martha Brotherton's experience.
Joseph did in fact carry on to Nauvoo were he received his Patriarchal blessing from Hyrum Smith on the 11th June 1843 and was married on the 29th July 1843 to Eliza Harriet Monroe, a girl that he probably met on his mission in Bedford as she was living in Bedford at the time of his mission. After their marriage Joseph and Eliza moved to St. Louis, Missouri were their son Joseph Monroe Brotherton was born, unfortunately this son died two years later in 1845 and their second son also died unnamed around the same time.
In May 1852 Joseph was acting as administrator for the estate of his brother in law John McIlwrick who had died some time before May 1849, no mention is made of John's wife Mary.  Joseph and Eliza eventually returned back to Great Britain and are recorded on the 1871 census as lodging in Llandudno, Wales.
Joseph Hamilton Brotherton died on 17th August 1874 at 7 Queen's place, Harrogate at the age of 52. Before his death he had been residing at 34 Derby Street, Manchester, he is recorded as being a Gentleman, he left his widow 450 pounds.

Martha's eldest brother Edward remained in Manchester running the Silk Manufacturing business , he married Elizabeth Elsworth Smith in July 1843.
Edward published a book in 1846 - Mormonism; it's Rise an Progress and the Prophet Joseph Smith. Here follows is a small excerpt from his introduction - " The following brief outline of the history of Mormonism is intended to supply the lack of information, as far as can be done in so small a compass, and though scanty and perhaps not skillfully arranged, yet care is taken to state nothing but what there is good evidence for........But if after all, any mis-statements should have crept in, the writer can consciously say that he will regret it more than any other person; as his sincere desire is to state the simple truth, with the view of guarding his fellow-countrymen against a dangerous imposture. He has had ample opportunities of studying its progress and influence, ......"  (16)
After leaving the Mormon church Edward joined the Swedenborgian movement and he became a campaigner for educational reform, "Brotherton's zeal and devotion to the cause was unbounded. He had patience, a winning grace of manner, a candour only too rare in controversy, and an unselfish devotion to the public good. In the course of his visitations amongst the poor he caught a fever, of which he died after a few days' illness, at Cornbrook, and was buried at the Wesleyan Cemetery, Cheetham Hill. There is a portrait of him in the Manchester Town Hall."(17)

I haven't been able to discover whether Martha's parents returned to England, but Martha did remain in America. On the 18th March 1843 Martha married American born James Purnell, Martha was 18 and James was 23.
James and Martha settled in Quincy, Illinois were James owned a successful carriage making company. They had 5 children, 3 boys and two daughters -
Henry Clay Purnell who was born in 1844 and served in the Civil War as a hospital steward.
James Edward Purnell who was born 26 April 1848 and became a lawyer for the theatre, an attorney of Quincy corporation counsel and a member of the Illinois legislature.
Felicia Hermes Purnell who was born 14 October 1853, she never married but travelled regularly back and forwards between Britain and America, she died in 1946 at the age of 92.
Kate Florence Purnell who was born in 1857, she married Thomas Bilsborough in 1881 in West Derby, England her daughter also named Kate Florence became a Countess when she married the famous fortune teller Count Louis Le Warner Hamon 'Cheiro' who apparently told the fortunes of many famous and notable people such as King Edward VII, Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, the Czar and Czarina of Russia and Lord Kitchener.
Martha's youngest child Joseph Hamilton Purnell was born in 1859, he was only 4 years old when his mother died on the 20th June 1863, she was only 39.  Shortly after Martha's death her three youngest children traveled to England and were adopted by Martha's brother Edward and his wife Elizabeth who were childless.
Felicia, Kate and Joseph all took the name of Brotherton as their surname.

When Martha's husband James died in 1875 the following obituary was in the local newspaper -"Death of a Prominent Citizen,  Mr. James Purnell, a well known merchant of this city, at 321 Hampshire street, died last evening of pneumonia, aged 55 years. Mr. Purnell enjoyed a large business and social acquaintance in this city and county, and his many friends will regret his death. He came to Quincy over thirty years ago, and has been in active commercial life ever since. He leaves one son here, and two daughters and a son in England."

CONCLUSION

Martha's character and that of her family was defamed because she had the courage to follow her conscience and to refuse Brigham Young's proposal.  Polygamy maybe okay if it is practiced with the knowledge and agreement of all participating partners, but not when a young girl is made to feel coerced or when the first wife has no knowledge. At the time of Martha's proposition Joseph Smith already had at least 6 plural wives, this without Emma Smith's knowledge or permission. Whilst he was secretly proposing to and marrying these women, some of whom where already married to lawful husbands,in public he was continually denying that 'Plural wifery' was occurring and insisting that a man should have but one lawful wife.
The editors of the Latter Day Saints' Millennial Star were still insisting that there was nothing remotely similar to polygamy, plural marriage, spiritual wifery, or the patriarchal order of marriage being practiced in the LDS Church, nor among its leaders, nor within its priesthood, as late as its issue for Jan. 15, 1850.

Martha was made out to be a liar, but a few months later in June of 1842 Brigham Young was married to 20 year old Lucy Anne Decker and he eventually ended up having an estimated 55 wives. Apparently in 1870 after hearing about Martha's death he decided to have her sealed to him for eternity in the Temple, I am not sure that Martha would have been so happy about this but maybe Brigham felt bad about the way that she had been and felt to make it good in this way.

I also think that because John C Bennett decided to use Martha's story in his Expose of Mormonism and probably also exaggerated on her story by saying that she was locked up in a room in the red brick store for a few days instead of a few hours, that many people even now don't believe her story and think that John C Bennett put her up to tell the story.
Just recently I heard an acclaimed Church Historian say that Brigham Young only chose women that he was acquainted with to be his wife and that would rule out Martha Brotherton because she was just an emigrant girl. As I have shown this was not the case, Brigham was well acquainted with Martha and her family from his Mission in Manchester and he had already paid several visits to her family  in the intervening 3 weeks since their arrival in the States. I think that Brigham Young had just recently heard from Joseph Smith about 'the new and everlasting covenant of plural marriage ' and that he had given Brigham the assignment to find a plural wife. Knowing that the Brotherton family were due to arrive from England and that they were a respectable and intelligent family with financial means and that Thomas had the knowledge The and means to set up his own Silk manufacturing business, and that he had a young, beautiful and vivacious daughter, that he set his mind to approaching and asking Martha. Unfortunately for him, things didn't turn out as planned, maybe he would have had more success if he had tried out his luck with Martha's older sister Elizabeth who later became Parley P Pratt's polygamous wife.

Even though Martha died young she was able to marry the man of her own choice and she didn't have to share him with many other wives, she was blessed with 5 children who all did well for themselves and she was the only one of her family to leave a large posterity.

Through her courage in telling the truth she influenced not only her immediate family, her cousins, who also returned to Manchester but also many more members and potential members who choose to believe her words instead of the lies which were spread about her.
Even now more than 175 years later her story has touched my life and altered my belief in the church in which I have grown up in.

(1) - Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet by John G. Turner
(2) - Elizabeth Brotherton Pratt biography- from the Jared Pratt Family Association
(3) - Millennial Star Vol 2 pg 37
(4) - The Tyrian and its Mormon Passengers by Paul B. Pixton
(5) - Ditto
(6) - Ditto
(7) - Millennial Star Vol 2 pg 156
(8) - Affidavit of Martha Brotherton
(9) - Millennial Star Vol 3 (August 1842) pg 73-74
(10) - Millennial Star
(11) - History of the Saints by John Bennett pg 236
(12) - McIlwrick's Affidavit
(13) - The Pittsburgh Morning Chronicle 26th July 1842
(14) - Elizabeth Brotherton Pratt biography- from the Jared Pratt Family Association
(15) - Millennial Star
(16) - Mormonism; It's Rise and Progress and the Prophet Joseph Smith by Edward Brotherton
(17) - Wikepedia - Edward Brotherton














1 comment:

  1. Stuff they never teach in Sunday School. The more you learn, the less you know.

    ReplyDelete